Friday, February 01, 2008

Ted Kennedy in Oakland for Barack Obama

I returned a short time ago from Oakland where I attended a Barack Obama rally where Congresswoman Barbara Lee and Senator Ted Kennedy spoke. Kennedy spoke passionately for Obama, calling this the most important election in his lifetime. I met some very interesting people, most of whom were quite inspired by Obama's candidacy for president. There were some undecided voters as well, who had the opportunity to see firsthand the excitement and enthusiasm of the Obama movement. The energy was amazing. Many SEIU union members were there. People were chanting "Si Se Pueda, Yes we can, Obama '08, and of course, Fired up, ready to go." Many held signs up and almost every car driving by honked their horn and showed off their own Obama signs in a display of support. It was great to feel a part of this amazing movement.

Here is news coverage of the event.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What excitement and what a wonderful opportunity for you to be involved. This is a very special time in history. I was lucky enough to feel the excitement over the campaign of JFK and this feels the same. Go Obama! Keep up the good work, Matt.

Matt said...

Yes it is a special time in history. Barack Obama is a very inspiring person - of the like we have not seen since the 60s and the giant figures of JFK, MLK and RFK. I do truly feel Obama is more likely than any other candidate in my life time has a chance not to be just a good president, but has a chance at true greatness. I've often wondered if people would recognize greatness in their midst. I hope the nation has in this election of 2008.

About Me

My photo
Lima, Ohio, United States
I was born and raised in Ohio. I am a lifelong Catholic Christian who has always been interested in the big questions of life. I have a passion for learning especially Philosophy, Science, Religion, History and Culture. I graduated from the University of Toledo in 2001 with a B.A. in International Relations. I married my soul-mate, Jen in 2001 and we moved to rural Tanigumi-mura Japan where we taught English for 3 years. We moved to California and lived in San Francisco and the Bay Area for 4 years. Tired of sitting on the sidelines, I began volunteering for the Barack Obama campaign in March of 2007 and was eventually hired as a Field Organizer. Through the Obama campaign, I found my calling and moved back to Ohio to continue organizing. In 2009 I helped the field operations of the Keith Wilkowski for Mayor of Toledo race. After that, I was hired as a Regional Field Director for 15 northwestern and north central Ohio counties for the 2010 Democratic Coordinated Campaign. Jen and I are continuing to volunteer as we wait for the next organizing opportunity to present itself.