Friday, March 07, 2008

Obama Must Win

Barack Obama narrowly lost to HRC on Tuesday March 4 in Rhode Island, Ohio and the Texas Primary, He won in Vermont and looks like he will have won in the Texas caucus when the votes are finally counted. HRC will end up gaining only a handful of delegates. Obama still leads by over a hundred delegates. HRC needs to win by huge margins all or most of the remaining states, count on Michigan and Florida being seated at the convention in her favor, and then hoping that the super delegates will mostly jump to her side - all of this to give her a narrow victory over Obama. The math is heavily against her.
I am so disgusted by her campaign. I am really upset that I am so upset. I was very happy with the entire field of Democratic candidates last year - and despite my very early support for Obama campaign - not in the way a fellow rival campaign should make me upset but in the way that Bush, Rove and the cheep dirty Republican political machine has run recently. I realized that I was supporting , I liked what I saw in all the other candidates. All wanted our troops out of Iraq, wanted to provide health care to all Americans and would have been a huge improvement over the disastrous Bush administration. But as time went on, I became more and more upset by the HRC campaign. We need Obama not just because he is a visionary and an inspiring leader who works for bipartisanship, but because he wants to end this sort of politics. America has been poisoned and polarized by many years of the politics of hate and fear. Bush's presidency was defined by this approach. But the Clintons and their opponents did more than their share of this sort of dirty dishonest politics during the last years of Bill Clinton's administration. The Clintons were always shifty but they did seem to do thier best to bring out the worst in their opponents. America is tired of a politics that triumphs in the face of defeating their opponents yet does nothing to solve the real myriad of problems that Americans face. HRC would be a continuation of this politics-as-usual. That is why we need Obama. The math is on his side. HRC can only succeed in providing material for John McCain. Her type of politics is a large part of what is wrong with America. That is why OBAMA MUST WIN!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was bitterly disappointed when Obama lost both Ohio and Texas. People keep mentioning Hillary's 'vast experience' and 'political connections,' neither of which I give a rat's ass about. Personally, I think this country is fucked if we end up with McCain so I will keep voting for Obama until the last possible minute.

About Me

My photo
Lima, Ohio, United States
I was born and raised in Ohio. I am a lifelong Catholic Christian who has always been interested in the big questions of life. I have a passion for learning especially Philosophy, Science, Religion, History and Culture. I graduated from the University of Toledo in 2001 with a B.A. in International Relations. I married my soul-mate, Jen in 2001 and we moved to rural Tanigumi-mura Japan where we taught English for 3 years. We moved to California and lived in San Francisco and the Bay Area for 4 years. Tired of sitting on the sidelines, I began volunteering for the Barack Obama campaign in March of 2007 and was eventually hired as a Field Organizer. Through the Obama campaign, I found my calling and moved back to Ohio to continue organizing. In 2009 I helped the field operations of the Keith Wilkowski for Mayor of Toledo race. After that, I was hired as a Regional Field Director for 15 northwestern and north central Ohio counties for the 2010 Democratic Coordinated Campaign. Jen and I are continuing to volunteer as we wait for the next organizing opportunity to present itself.