Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Destructive Religious Rhetoric and Politics

By now everyone has heard the inflammatory statement's that Barack Obama's pastor Jeremiah Wright made concerning America's responsibility in events that led up to 9/11 as well as his remarks against a white-dominated government who tried to keep African Americans down. Read more here. The Reverend may have had a case for some of his points, but they were made in a dogmatic and divisive way. But what was his ultimate point? That the U.S. government had made poor foreign policy decisions and that the U.S. had oppressed African Americans for years. Honestly, when rephrased, much of what he said is obviously true. The problem was the in the angry tone and dogmatic nature of the statements that turned a point worthy of discussion into something that sounded angry and destructive.
But let us compare those statements to John McCain's spiritual advisers. Read more here. John Hagee who railed against Catholicism. Rather than referring to it as a branch of Christianity to which he disagreed, he called it "a cult" and "the great whore." Not helpful. More destructive divisive rhetoric. Even more disturbing, was what McCain spiritual advisor Rod Parsley had to say. He has written: "I will tell you this: I do not believe our country can truly fulfill its divine purpose until we understand our historical conflict with Islam. I know that this statement sounds extreme, but I do not shrink from its implications. The fact is that America was founded, in part, with the intention of seeing this false religion destroyed, and I believe September 11, 2001, was a generational call to arms that we can no longer ignore." Read the story here. Not only is this bigoted, and destructive but it shows a complete disregard for historical accuracy and common sense.

I am tired of religious "leaders" who try to drag us into such hateful thinking and policies. I'm tired of the partisan nature of this country and religious leaders who try to steer us in a direction based upon one or two narrow issues. In my own Catholic church, I have been disappointed by a priest who couldn't stop telling worshipers how much he admired George W. Bush because he is a man who was not afraid to pray and admit it in public. This during the closing months of 2004 when we were getting ready to vote for President. My first thought was that Osama Bin Ladin wasn't afraid to pray publicly either, but it was more about the content of those prayers than the prayers themselves that was either noteworthy or despicable. Attending a friend's wedding at another Catholic church, a time which should be focused on the joy of the union being consecrated and celebrated, we were "treated" to an anti-Protestant tirade. Something I have NEVER experienced before in a Catholic church. It was depressing. I was glad to finally hear a message of inter-religious unity and common cause at the National Shrine of St. Francis here in San Francisco. That gave me hope again that I could find a comfortable place inside organised religion. The other aforementioned examples made me depressed and disappointed.
When I grew up, politics was mentioned as important in the church, but were were told to exercise our own judgement, pray for guidance and remember one's intentions when selecting one's leaders. I certainly wish the Reverends Wright, Hagee, and Parsely would be giving us more of that message than the ones that they did. And what about that part about turning the other cheek, and loving one's enemies? I seem to remember that being of somewhat importance in Christianity.... ...maybe it's time we all remembered that!

3 comments:

Matt said...

Sorry I can't agree with you, I'm sure you all know people whom you care about who say things you don't like.

Obama's speech was nuanced and spoke strongly of HIS own views.

You mistakenly believe that he has not condemned Louis Farrakhan which he has.

I don't think your goals of moderate Islam are served by such a hard line stance.

Anonymous said...

Here is an excellent piece showing that perhaps Senator Obama's pastor is getting much more press than is Senator McCain's. Hhmmmmm why might that be???

http://www.cjr.org/campaign_desk/rod_parsleys_free_pass_1.php?page=all

Matt said...

Well one part is that they finally have something negative related to Obama and are eager to look "balanced".

But the legitimate point is that Obama knew him for 20 years. McCain hasn't know Hagee or Parsley as long.

On the other hand, McCain has said very little about their crazy remarks...

About Me

My photo
Lima, Ohio, United States
I was born and raised in Ohio. I am a lifelong Catholic Christian who has always been interested in the big questions of life. I have a passion for learning especially Philosophy, Science, Religion, History and Culture. I graduated from the University of Toledo in 2001 with a B.A. in International Relations. I married my soul-mate, Jen in 2001 and we moved to rural Tanigumi-mura Japan where we taught English for 3 years. We moved to California and lived in San Francisco and the Bay Area for 4 years. Tired of sitting on the sidelines, I began volunteering for the Barack Obama campaign in March of 2007 and was eventually hired as a Field Organizer. Through the Obama campaign, I found my calling and moved back to Ohio to continue organizing. In 2009 I helped the field operations of the Keith Wilkowski for Mayor of Toledo race. After that, I was hired as a Regional Field Director for 15 northwestern and north central Ohio counties for the 2010 Democratic Coordinated Campaign. Jen and I are continuing to volunteer as we wait for the next organizing opportunity to present itself.