Wednesday, January 04, 2006

My Theological Worldview

I took this test concerning religious views a few months ago – but I thought I would post it to generate more discussion and help explain from where I am coming. As I mentioned in my profile, I am a Catholic Christian. I’m not exactly happy with the state of the church (Roman Catholic) or the Christian Church as a whole. I think we need to get back to the central roots of the message of Christianity – to love and serve God and each other. Rather than condemning people based on their behaviors, Christians should be setting an example for others to follow. We should lead by example. They should know we are Christians by our love, not our intolerance or close-mindedness. We should work together with others of faith to demonstrate that there are things greater than ourselves. Science is not the enemy – it deals with the “hows” and “whats” rather than the most important questions which ask “why.” Christianity has an answer for that – and it doesn’t, (in fact can’t) conflict with science, because both religion and science (along with philosophy) seek truth.





You scored as Roman Catholic. You are Roman Catholic. Church tradition and ecclesial authority are hugely important, and the most important part of worship for you is mass. As the Mother of God, Mary is important in your theology, and as the communion of saints includes the living and the dead, you can also ask the saints to intercede for you.

Roman Catholic


96%

Emergent/Postmodern



64%

Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan


64%

Classical Liberal


61%

Neo orthodox


57%

Modern Liberal


50%

Charismatic/Pentecostal


39%

Reformed Evangelical


11%

Fundamentalist


4%

What's your theological worldview?
created with QuizFarm.com

5 comments:

Jim Macdonald said...

Matt, you can check out my very sporadic and not very useful blog posts at http://jsmacdonald.blogspot.com .

We should continue the discussions you've started here; it will be interesting to see where we currently converge and diverge.

As a Christian activist who identifies most these days with anarchism, I've gotten to know a lot of Catholic Workers and Jesuits and had a powerful spiritual experience protesting the School of the Americas at Fort Benning in Columbus, Georgia. You would have found it fascinating, where Catholic Christianity meets the left meets anarchism meets Latin American populism. It's an atmosphere unlike any I have ever witnessed as an activist. Some of my friends and acquaintances organize with SOA Watch here in DC, but I never knew just what the vibe was like until I went to my first SOA protest this past November.

You can read a lot of what goes on in my world on the DC Anti-War Network listserve, which is publicly available at http://www.dawndc.net/weblist.html . A lot of it is mundane organizing, but every so often I write an essay.

I look forward to reading more from your blog. Maybe, I'll update mine once in awhile, too.

Jim Macdonald said...

Let me fix those links:

http://jsmacdonald.blogspot.com , and DAWN listserves at http://www.dawndc.net/weblist.html.

Jim Macdonald said...

Matt, what is the link on this? It doesn't work. I've been looking for it.

Jim Macdonald said...

Oh wait, I found it here.

Anyhow, this is how I scored...I found the questions very difficult to answer.

Emergent/Postmodern 79%
Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan 68%
Neo orthodox 54%
Roman Catholic 50%
Modern Liberal 43%
Classical Liberal 39%
Charismatic/Pentecostal 32%
Reformed Evangelical 14%
Fundamentalist 0%

Matt said...

Thank you Jim for letting me know about those links not working - they are now fixed.

About Me

My photo
Lima, Ohio, United States
I was born and raised in Ohio. I am a lifelong Catholic Christian who has always been interested in the big questions of life. I have a passion for learning especially Philosophy, Science, Religion, History and Culture. I graduated from the University of Toledo in 2001 with a B.A. in International Relations. I married my soul-mate, Jen in 2001 and we moved to rural Tanigumi-mura Japan where we taught English for 3 years. We moved to California and lived in San Francisco and the Bay Area for 4 years. Tired of sitting on the sidelines, I began volunteering for the Barack Obama campaign in March of 2007 and was eventually hired as a Field Organizer. Through the Obama campaign, I found my calling and moved back to Ohio to continue organizing. In 2009 I helped the field operations of the Keith Wilkowski for Mayor of Toledo race. After that, I was hired as a Regional Field Director for 15 northwestern and north central Ohio counties for the 2010 Democratic Coordinated Campaign. Jen and I are continuing to volunteer as we wait for the next organizing opportunity to present itself.