Wednesday, January 18, 2006

I'm not a Heretic

So, I did not score as a heretic. That’s good. I know it is important for Christians to have some basic commonality of belief, so that communication and cooperation is better facilitated, but once we agree on these (and perhaps a few other points), it should be enough to turn our attention to living as true Christians by emulating Christ.
In Islam, Muslims are called to follow the Sunna of Mohammad. This means emulating him in every respect possible. We as Christians should do the same by emulating Christ. Christ did not spend his days condemning people, but rather helping them and teaching them a better path by words and deeds. His actions are the perfect example for us to follow.


You scored as Chalcedon compliant. You are Chalcedon compliant. Congratulations, you're not a heretic. You believe that Jesus is truly God and truly man and like us in every respect, apart from sin. Officially approved in 451.

Chalcedon compliant


92%

Modalism


67%

Pelagianism


67%

Nestorianism


50%

Monophysitism


33%

Monarchianism


33%

Socinianism


17%

Arianism


8%

Adoptionist


0%

Apollanarian


0%

Donatism


0%

Albigensianism


0%

Gnosticism


0%

Docetism


0%

Are you a heretic?
created with QuizFarm.com

1 comment:

Jim Macdonald said...

I think many of my friends would find it surprising that I scored 100% Chalcedon compliant with a strong hint, though, of Nestorianism in my thinking. In fact, I scored 100% on both but came out Chalcedon compliant. I'm not sure how that happened, so I wonder about the structure of the test.

You note the practical commitment of Christianity, but I think that my practical life, that is the life I practice, my ethics, is fully informed from the theoretical underpinnings of Christianity, especially what makes it distinct from other monotheistic religions as well as other heresies. For instance, Christianity's notions of the trinity and the incarnation are so puzzling, and yet so thoroughly rational. In fact, they are so much so, I have trouble seeing the trinity or incarnation as particularly unique manifestations of being, at least in the sense they are commonly criticized. We all exist in different manifestations...really. I really am in that photgraph, not just some ink. That's me "as pictured."

My point is that Christianity theoretically is a pluralistic religion and lends itself well to pluralistic philosphy, which is the sort of love that embraces both sameness and difference in their proper respects. In fact, it cuts across the dichotomy of theory and practice because you realize that nothing is completely separate and by itself, and nor is anything merely conflated into its substance. That has a great affect in how we live our lives and treat other people if you realize that.

If you realize that truth, you no longer try to force people into your truth, you no longer see violence as necessary in that you no longer see conformity as the goal of love (or of church). It's probably why I am more attracted to the spirit of protestantism than when we were closer, in that I see unity in the church as a function of real tension and real differences and sometime real reactions; recognizing that union builds out of natural, not unnatural and forced and enforced unities.

I protest these days; I'm against; I'm not merely for. There are shades and ways of being that are fully appropriate to that, and I find that informed by orthodoxy.

That seems to be a strange thing to say, especially since for us orthodoxy is the antithesis of dogmatism, so it's not orthodoxy as it's traditionally understood by people. But, so be it.

About Me

My photo
Lima, Ohio, United States
I was born and raised in Ohio. I am a lifelong Catholic Christian who has always been interested in the big questions of life. I have a passion for learning especially Philosophy, Science, Religion, History and Culture. I graduated from the University of Toledo in 2001 with a B.A. in International Relations. I married my soul-mate, Jen in 2001 and we moved to rural Tanigumi-mura Japan where we taught English for 3 years. We moved to California and lived in San Francisco and the Bay Area for 4 years. Tired of sitting on the sidelines, I began volunteering for the Barack Obama campaign in March of 2007 and was eventually hired as a Field Organizer. Through the Obama campaign, I found my calling and moved back to Ohio to continue organizing. In 2009 I helped the field operations of the Keith Wilkowski for Mayor of Toledo race. After that, I was hired as a Regional Field Director for 15 northwestern and north central Ohio counties for the 2010 Democratic Coordinated Campaign. Jen and I are continuing to volunteer as we wait for the next organizing opportunity to present itself.