Friday, January 30, 2009

The Day Before the Inauguration

On Monday, January 19, 2009, the day before the inauguration, Jen and I took the Metro to D.C. and explored the newest museum of the Smithsonian, the Museum of the American Indian. It was very interesting seeing the various cultures and their traditional belief systems and stories.

(The image above was an interesting piece that has the U.S. states listed in the blue field and Native American tribe names in the stripes.) We ate at the cafeteria in the museum which features native foods. It was interesting and delicious. We didn't have time to finish seeing the whole museum and resolved to return before our trip back to San Francisco. As we left the museum, we went by the MSNBC booth which was set up on the national mall. We managed to see Chris Matthews and Jen was in the crowd as the live camera swung by us.

(In the above picture, Matthews' back is to the camera.) The sense of anticipation was palpable as the crowds milled around the mall and vendors hawked Obama-themed items of every sort including thermal underwear!

We traveled to U Street where we met up with Bobbie Sue, another Obama fellow whom I had worked with in Toledo and her husband, Scott who also had been heavily involved with the campaign. They, of course, were in Washington to see the inauguration. We ate at a nice Ethiopian restaurant. The food was good, but we agreed that the Blue Nile in Ann Arbor, Michigan is our favorite Ethiopian restaurant. It was very nice to see them and catch up.

After that, we returned to the Chinatown area to meet up with Tim and Kelly (our hosts). We ended up staying out considerably later than we had planned in the frigid weather, so we didn't get much sleep before the start the very long inauguration day. Thank goodness a local Starbucks was staying open for 24 hours due to the large crowds, so that we had a place to get somewhat warmed up and sit down.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Me, my friend and girlfriend where in an auto accident a few months back. I was hurt in the accident but my friend and girlfriend came out fine. Guide me please friend!

About Me

My photo
Lima, Ohio, United States
I was born and raised in Ohio. I am a lifelong Catholic Christian who has always been interested in the big questions of life. I have a passion for learning especially Philosophy, Science, Religion, History and Culture. I graduated from the University of Toledo in 2001 with a B.A. in International Relations. I married my soul-mate, Jen in 2001 and we moved to rural Tanigumi-mura Japan where we taught English for 3 years. We moved to California and lived in San Francisco and the Bay Area for 4 years. Tired of sitting on the sidelines, I began volunteering for the Barack Obama campaign in March of 2007 and was eventually hired as a Field Organizer. Through the Obama campaign, I found my calling and moved back to Ohio to continue organizing. In 2009 I helped the field operations of the Keith Wilkowski for Mayor of Toledo race. After that, I was hired as a Regional Field Director for 15 northwestern and north central Ohio counties for the 2010 Democratic Coordinated Campaign. Jen and I are continuing to volunteer as we wait for the next organizing opportunity to present itself.