Friday, January 16, 2009

The Campaign


Many people have asked me to write about my experiences with the Obama campaign, so here I will attempt to briefly outline my experiences.

As I have written earlier, I returned to Toledo, Ohio where I volunteered as an Obama Organizing Fellow. I worked long hours and was away from my wife, Jen, for a month. We laid the groundwork for the campaign, recruiting other volunteers and opening an office. I met some wonderful people and forged some great friendships along the way. The difficulty of our task, the long hours we worked, and the like-minded sense of purpose that we shared brought many of us close together. At the end of July, I was offered the paid staff position of Field Organizer in Ohio. While I was happy to be offered the position, I was not sure if I would be able to keep with the long hours and most of all even longer time away from Jen. As those of you who are close to us know, Jen and I do everything together, so such a long time apart would be unthinkable but for the fact that the dire situation our county found itself and for our complete confidence in Barack Obama to address the nation’s ills. So we agreed to continue our sacrifice and do our small part to secure our nation and the world’s better future. After a brief four days back in San Francisco, I returned to Ohio to begin work as a Field Organizer. I was told I would be assigned to Cleveland, but at the last minute, I was sent to Newark, Ohio in Licking County. I was familiar with Newark, having visited back when I was growing up two counties away in Cambridge, Ohio. I began working with another group of dedicated Obama supporters, many of whom had also quit their jobs to help Barack Obama win election in the critically important state. The work was similar to what I had done as a fellow. I was tasked with recruiting, training, and managing volunteers, who would build teams, make phone calls, canvass door-to-door and convince people to vote for Barack Obama. This work was much more difficult in an area that was more conservative and demoralized than Toledo, where the excitement for the election was quite palpable. Slowly but surely, we built neighborhood teams, opened our own office (see the pictures with me in front), and reached in an organized effort the likes of which Licking County had never seen. I was very lucky to have supporters house me, and the use of another’s car for the duration of the campaign. It certainly helped a great deal and I am truly grateful for their contribution.

A typical day for me began at 9:00 am, with meetings and a conference call. The rest of the morning was spent preparing for the volunteers’ arrivals, and it went by very quickly – sometimes we forgot to eat. Early afternoon was often a mix of meetings, returning phone calls, training new volunteers and assisting other volunteers. Late afternoon until 9 pm was our “sacred call time” and we spent the whole time (or very close to it) on the phones, finding new volunteers and rescheduling others. At the end of this, we had a few minutes to scramble to get our call numbers and results together to report first to our region which consisted of Licking, Delaware and Knox counties, and then to a regional conference call which consisted of ¼ of the state. Later, we would also have a statewide call. After all of this, we had to enter data. Luckily, I had some great volunteers, and one in particular who did a massive amount of data entry which probably saved us a couple of hours a night, so we could get home by 11:30 pm or so each night. Although, as we got closer to the election, I was not getting home until after 2:00 am. It was very rough – and working last few days of the campaign was the hardest thing I have ever done. Jen came out to spend the last few days of the election with me in Ohio and even helped canvass on election day. I was so glad to have Jen at my side while we watched the election results and we shared tears of joy as Ohio was announced for Barack Obama. It had been worth all the struggle and sacrifice.

I was happy that I was able to see Obama and Biden once with Jen (she visited for a few days in August).

In addition, during state-wide training for the campaign staff in Ohio, Obama did show up to encourage us. I also was able to see the future Vice President when Joe Biden came to visit Newark.

It was amazing to have been a part of this historic campaign and now I look forward to doing my part to help this incoming administration rebuild America.


1 comment:

Matt said...

I did forget to mention that I did get to help handle the press who came to then-Senator Biden's appearance in Newark, OH. That was also a wonderful experience.

About Me

My photo
Lima, Ohio, United States
I was born and raised in Ohio. I am a lifelong Catholic Christian who has always been interested in the big questions of life. I have a passion for learning especially Philosophy, Science, Religion, History and Culture. I graduated from the University of Toledo in 2001 with a B.A. in International Relations. I married my soul-mate, Jen in 2001 and we moved to rural Tanigumi-mura Japan where we taught English for 3 years. We moved to California and lived in San Francisco and the Bay Area for 4 years. Tired of sitting on the sidelines, I began volunteering for the Barack Obama campaign in March of 2007 and was eventually hired as a Field Organizer. Through the Obama campaign, I found my calling and moved back to Ohio to continue organizing. In 2009 I helped the field operations of the Keith Wilkowski for Mayor of Toledo race. After that, I was hired as a Regional Field Director for 15 northwestern and north central Ohio counties for the 2010 Democratic Coordinated Campaign. Jen and I are continuing to volunteer as we wait for the next organizing opportunity to present itself.