Friday, January 18, 2008

Californians: Vote NO on Props 94,95,96, and 97

I'll admit I am not a huge fan of gambling. I find it a huge waste of personal and community resources that also contributes to some people's obsessive behaviors. That being said, I am not entirely opposed to legalized gambling. What bothers me about these 4 propositions is that they give 4 tribes in California special treatment. These tribes no not allow their workers to unionize, and while the proposition allows for revenue sharing with other tribes, many tribes oppose this deal as being more for show than substance. The San Francisco Bay Guardian had a very good editorial outlining the reasons to oppose this measure. Read the piece here.
Fellow Californians, we can do better than this. This is a hasty measure that really needs work. Vote NO on Propositions 94, 95, 96, and 97.

The San Francisco Bay Guardian also endorsed Barack Obama for President.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Lima, Ohio, United States
I was born and raised in Ohio. I am a lifelong Catholic Christian who has always been interested in the big questions of life. I have a passion for learning especially Philosophy, Science, Religion, History and Culture. I graduated from the University of Toledo in 2001 with a B.A. in International Relations. I married my soul-mate, Jen in 2001 and we moved to rural Tanigumi-mura Japan where we taught English for 3 years. We moved to California and lived in San Francisco and the Bay Area for 4 years. Tired of sitting on the sidelines, I began volunteering for the Barack Obama campaign in March of 2007 and was eventually hired as a Field Organizer. Through the Obama campaign, I found my calling and moved back to Ohio to continue organizing. In 2009 I helped the field operations of the Keith Wilkowski for Mayor of Toledo race. After that, I was hired as a Regional Field Director for 15 northwestern and north central Ohio counties for the 2010 Democratic Coordinated Campaign. Jen and I are continuing to volunteer as we wait for the next organizing opportunity to present itself.