Thursday, November 29, 2007

An Open Letter to Al Gore

Dear Vice President Gore,

I am an ardent admirer of your work. I applaud your efforts to bring attention to global climate change and other important issues of our time. When Bill Clinton ran for President in 1992, I was a strong supporter - in no small part because I wanted you to be our Vice President (And I hoped next President). It took me a long time to recover from the traumatic results of your 2000 winning run for the Presidency. The nation and the world have suffered as a result. This brings me to my reason for writing to you. The nation and the world are in peril. You know this far more and I. We need a leader who will bring this shattered, demoralized, and abused nation back together in common cause. We need someone who will look to the future with hope and inspire others to change. We do not need a continuation of the Bush administration's quasi-fascist policies, that much is clear. But we also do not need a return to the partisanship and cold calculation that was the dark side of the Clinton administration. (Don't get me wrong - I admire the work done under the Clinton-Gore administration, but there were some aspects that were less than desirable.) That is why I am urging you to endorse Barack Obama for the democratic nomination. He is a strong, smart, and compassionate man with a real eye on the future. I see much of your values and goals in his words and ideas. Please endorse Obama and help put this country back on track. Thank you very much Mr. Vice President.

Best Wishes and Sincerest Thanks,

Matthew R. Klempner

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Lima, Ohio, United States
I was born and raised in Ohio. I am a lifelong Catholic Christian who has always been interested in the big questions of life. I have a passion for learning especially Philosophy, Science, Religion, History and Culture. I graduated from the University of Toledo in 2001 with a B.A. in International Relations. I married my soul-mate, Jen in 2001 and we moved to rural Tanigumi-mura Japan where we taught English for 3 years. We moved to California and lived in San Francisco and the Bay Area for 4 years. Tired of sitting on the sidelines, I began volunteering for the Barack Obama campaign in March of 2007 and was eventually hired as a Field Organizer. Through the Obama campaign, I found my calling and moved back to Ohio to continue organizing. In 2009 I helped the field operations of the Keith Wilkowski for Mayor of Toledo race. After that, I was hired as a Regional Field Director for 15 northwestern and north central Ohio counties for the 2010 Democratic Coordinated Campaign. Jen and I are continuing to volunteer as we wait for the next organizing opportunity to present itself.