Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Obama For America Staff Ball

On Wednesday, January 21, 2009, Jen and I called a taxi to pick us up at our friends’ home. We waited over an hour for the taxi to take us to the Metro station. We wanted to arrive at the Obama for America Staff Ball earlier than we did, but we still managed to arrive before the main festivities began. This Ball was held at the D.C. Armory, and was mercifully close to a Metro station, so we did not have to endure the frigid winter night for long. We passed through an identical security screening as we had the night before, giving us more confidence to our suspicions that President Obama would be attending. When we arrived the whole Armory was full of campaign staffers and their guests.


(Here are a few pictures of the Staff Ball.) The food that was served was really good – much better than even the Western Ball. There was quite a bit of variety – brisket, noodles, stir-fry, cookies, mini cupcakes and much more. Throughout the night more and more food was brought out as well. Drinks were free and plentiful too, though the lines were long. The atmosphere was very festive. After walking around for a while, I eventually met up with people that I had worked with on the campaign in Newark, Ohio and Toledo, Ohio. Many of my former co-workers and fellow fellows were in attendance. With so many people crowded into the building, I was lucky to have met up them at all.
With much excitement, Vice President Biden’s sister introduced her brother. He gave a very warm speech talking about how much he had respected we Obama campaigners, first as an opponent and then as part of the team. Jen and I moved up higher to have a better view after the Vice President spoke. Actor Kal Penn spoke for a few moments, before introducing David Plouffe who had managed the campaign. He then introduced a very happy President Obama. The President was quite relaxed and one did definitely have the sense that he wanted to stay with us. His remarks were very gracious and humbling. For the President and Vice President, the same introductory and exit music that had been played during the campaign was played. We all knew this would be the last time that would happen, so we were quite literally witness to the very last campaign event of the 2008 election.



















(Some videos of the speeches at the OFA Staff Ball.)
I was very lucky to stumble upon Jeremy Bird, who had headed the campaign’s efforts in Ohio. I was glad to have the opportunity to thank him for his leadership and tell him what an honor it had been to work with him. Bird is now the Deputy Director of Organizing for America aka Obama 2.0.
After the speeches, Jay-Z began to perform. I felt old.





(Some of Jay-Z’s performance.)
Jen and I had a very nice time and were thrilled that we had the opportunity to attend this amazing gathering. It was truly a moving experience.


(OFA Staff Ball Ticket)

4 comments:

Chris said...

Nice blog. You might like my blog as well.

Unknown said...

If I were to wager a guess at why, I’d say that users don’t “browse” forms. The interaction style users engage in with forms is different, and requires its own study and design best practices. This is a very interesting post, and the comments are also fantastic to read. I’ll have poses to have a little re-think about my own contact form on our new website, as this some interesting questions!
achieve level

Anonymous said...

Hey, your blog is unique. I like it. Wish to get more information in future.I will be back here next time. Good luck.
Wholesale Cell Phone Accessories
Wholesale Bluetooth
Wholesale Dual SIM Card Cell Phone
Wholesale TV Cell Phone
Wholesale Wifi Cell Phone
Wholesale Qwerty Keyboard Cell Phone
Wholesale Smartphones
Wholesale Quad Band Cell Phone
Wholesale Tri Band Cell Phone
Wholesale GPS Cell Phone
Wholesale WCDMA and CDMA Cell Phone

Anonymous said...

So how is that hope and change thing working for you now?

About Me

My photo
Lima, Ohio, United States
I was born and raised in Ohio. I am a lifelong Catholic Christian who has always been interested in the big questions of life. I have a passion for learning especially Philosophy, Science, Religion, History and Culture. I graduated from the University of Toledo in 2001 with a B.A. in International Relations. I married my soul-mate, Jen in 2001 and we moved to rural Tanigumi-mura Japan where we taught English for 3 years. We moved to California and lived in San Francisco and the Bay Area for 4 years. Tired of sitting on the sidelines, I began volunteering for the Barack Obama campaign in March of 2007 and was eventually hired as a Field Organizer. Through the Obama campaign, I found my calling and moved back to Ohio to continue organizing. In 2009 I helped the field operations of the Keith Wilkowski for Mayor of Toledo race. After that, I was hired as a Regional Field Director for 15 northwestern and north central Ohio counties for the 2010 Democratic Coordinated Campaign. Jen and I are continuing to volunteer as we wait for the next organizing opportunity to present itself.