Thursday, October 26, 2006

Angelides for Governor

I have voted for Phil Angelides for governor of California. While he may not be the most inspiring candidate, his positions seem fair and reasonable. He had a good record as state treasurer as well. But perhaps the best reason for voting for Angelides is the fact that he is not our current governor, Arnold Schwarzenegger . Schwarzenegger may not be a neo-con and has at times been critical of the Bush administration. I appreciate that fact. However, as my friend Gabe has put it, “He has never met a special interest dollar that he didn’t like.” This seems to be a good characterization. Schwarzenegger has spent an inordinate amount of time devoted to raising money for the corrupt Republican party and the President. His policies toward education in the state have been reprehensible and he has certainly devoted more efforts to protecting big business at the expense of our state’s poor. Again, while Angelides may not be the most inspiring candidate, I truly believe that California would be better off with him in the governor’s mansion rather than Schwarzenegger. I encourage all Californians to vote for Phil Angelides.

1 comment:

Jim Macdonald said...

I have a Greek friend in DC who dragged me a block from work to an Angelides fundraiser more than a year ago. Sen. Sarbanes was there, and all these other Greeks. I felt like I had gone into some bizarre portal into my yia yia and papou's living room.

Angelides seemed pretty nice, but he was overshadowed by Sarbanes, which I thought to myself wasn't a good sign for someone in politics, to be overshadowed at your own fundraiser. And Sarbanes wasn't even running for anything or trying very hard, though it was his backyard.

It was one of the many weird DC experiences one has where politicians of all stripes are right there in front of you, and you realize they are just people, too, just people with illusions of grandeur.

It's funny to be at a National Governors Association conference, like I have because of my job. You should see all the Governors, their families, and their security (and in some cases, media entourages). They are like little swarms of bugs. In one case, I had to help a security guy find his governor, whom he had lost.

It's a weird world, and I don't think any of us know just how weird it is, even as we act as though it's all normal and proper. I think people have every reason to be scared of and suspicious what goes on in Washington and in their statehouse.

About Me

My photo
Lima, Ohio, United States
I was born and raised in Ohio. I am a lifelong Catholic Christian who has always been interested in the big questions of life. I have a passion for learning especially Philosophy, Science, Religion, History and Culture. I graduated from the University of Toledo in 2001 with a B.A. in International Relations. I married my soul-mate, Jen in 2001 and we moved to rural Tanigumi-mura Japan where we taught English for 3 years. We moved to California and lived in San Francisco and the Bay Area for 4 years. Tired of sitting on the sidelines, I began volunteering for the Barack Obama campaign in March of 2007 and was eventually hired as a Field Organizer. Through the Obama campaign, I found my calling and moved back to Ohio to continue organizing. In 2009 I helped the field operations of the Keith Wilkowski for Mayor of Toledo race. After that, I was hired as a Regional Field Director for 15 northwestern and north central Ohio counties for the 2010 Democratic Coordinated Campaign. Jen and I are continuing to volunteer as we wait for the next organizing opportunity to present itself.