Monday, September 11, 2006

September 11th

Today is the 5th anniversary of the September 11th attacks. Most of you probably remember where you were and what you were doing when you first received news of the tragedy. My wife and I had been living in Japan for just over two months on September 11, 2001. After teaching English for the day, I had returned home and eaten a good dinner with my wife. It was later in the evening as we were watching a rather rare English language move on Japanese TV. The movie, “Needful Things” was nearly over when we received a phone call from my mother telling us what had happened. We changed channels to see the news unfolding. Shortly after we received the news, the second tower of the World Trade Center collapsed. I received several other calls in quick succession from other expat friends living in Japan as well as calls from the US. I had a horrible feeling then, as if I was looking at the opening of a terrible new chapter in history – and I feared as much for what the American response would be as for the horrific tragedy still unfolding. Perhaps part of that silly movie stuck with me in the back of my mind, reminding me how people could be manipulated into causing other people harm. My fears were certainly realized as we went to war in Afghanistan and Iraq and began undermining civil liberties at home.
People might blame the atrocities on militant Islam. But to call such actions Islamic is truly absurd. These acts are terrorism through and through. On the other hand, American killing of civilians in Afghanistan and Iraq is labeled collateral damage. But one should not call this Christian aggression for such actions are truly contrary to the spirit of Christianity as well. Neither of these things are virtuous nor Islamic nor Christian acts. Terrorism is terrorism. The way to fight terrorism is first not to become a terrorist. There is truly wisdom in treating others the way one wishes to be treated. We should be spreading that message rather than the current message of “might makes right,” - regardless of what good ends for which we claim to be fighting.


On this September 11th, my thoughts and prayers shall be with the victims and their families. I shall also pray for any and all potential future terrorists – that they be dissuaded from militancy and see the true path of justice and holiness lies with treating one another with dignity, respect, and compassion.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A failure of intelligence or lack thereof. This should never have happened. As for fighting in Afghanistan, I was all for it so as to retaliate and find Bin Laden and bring him to justice, but the fiasco of Iraq makes my blood boil more everyday. Where are those protesters against the war? Although W says we will not get out while he is Pres. So, what good would it do? All in all the world has changed now forever since 9/11 and will never be the same again.

Matt said...

I wrote against the U.S. actions in Afghanistan. I thought the whole incident of 9/11 would have been better served by treating it as a criminal matter not "elevating" it to the status of a war. Still, I could at least understand the reasons for going to war in Afghanistan. Iraq made no sense – Saddam was contained and was certainly in no position to carry out any attacks on his own. As to Dick Cheney’s claims of links between Saddam and Terrorists, they are absurd. Saddam was a secularist and therefore was hated by groups like Al Qaeda who wanted to establish a theocratic government. The whole Iraq war would be a comedy of errors except for the fact that thousands have dies and countless more wounded – it is indeed an outrageous tragedy.

About Me

My photo
Lima, Ohio, United States
I was born and raised in Ohio. I am a lifelong Catholic Christian who has always been interested in the big questions of life. I have a passion for learning especially Philosophy, Science, Religion, History and Culture. I graduated from the University of Toledo in 2001 with a B.A. in International Relations. I married my soul-mate, Jen in 2001 and we moved to rural Tanigumi-mura Japan where we taught English for 3 years. We moved to California and lived in San Francisco and the Bay Area for 4 years. Tired of sitting on the sidelines, I began volunteering for the Barack Obama campaign in March of 2007 and was eventually hired as a Field Organizer. Through the Obama campaign, I found my calling and moved back to Ohio to continue organizing. In 2009 I helped the field operations of the Keith Wilkowski for Mayor of Toledo race. After that, I was hired as a Regional Field Director for 15 northwestern and north central Ohio counties for the 2010 Democratic Coordinated Campaign. Jen and I are continuing to volunteer as we wait for the next organizing opportunity to present itself.