Saturday, July 08, 2006

Life Begins to Look Up

After losing my full-time job, I was quite depressed for some time.  My sales job certainly wasn’t doing much for me – I really didn’t like working in sales but the people were nice and it was (almost) paying the bills.  After losing that job, I was left in a bad situation. We have no car. Local places didn’t want to hire me because of that fact. Further away in San Francisco or Oakland, they didn’t care that I didn’t have a car – but they thought that I lived too far away.  It was a difficult position.  Slowly, however things began to look up in my life.  I was hired by another teaching/tutoring center and was able to get a few more hours working at my other tutoring center.  I really enjoy teaching children and it is very satisfying and meaningful work.  Now, I am in much better spirits.  Although I am only working part time, my hourly rate is quite good.  Even better, I get to teach kids Science and we are reading the Hobbit (Tolkien is my favorite author of fiction.) Once I started working again, the writing bug finally hit me again.  The urge to write hit me with a vengeance.  I haven’t been so motivated to write anything in about 8 or 9 years.  So now, I tutor in the morning, then take the bus to the local Peet’s coffee house where I spend several hours writing.  I am working on a science fiction novel.  I am expanding upon a short story that I wrote back in 2001 for my Philosophy class: The Self in Science Fiction and Science Fact.  I am excited about this work and am putting a lot of myself and my philosophical ideas into it.
     In many ways, for me, it is like being back in 1997-1998 when I was working part time, and spending the rest of the day at the coffee house reading philosophy and doing some writing. Only this time, it is better. I have meaningful jobs, and best of all, this time I am happily married.  Things are certainly looking up for us.  Now if we can only move to the city…

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Lima, Ohio, United States
I was born and raised in Ohio. I am a lifelong Catholic Christian who has always been interested in the big questions of life. I have a passion for learning especially Philosophy, Science, Religion, History and Culture. I graduated from the University of Toledo in 2001 with a B.A. in International Relations. I married my soul-mate, Jen in 2001 and we moved to rural Tanigumi-mura Japan where we taught English for 3 years. We moved to California and lived in San Francisco and the Bay Area for 4 years. Tired of sitting on the sidelines, I began volunteering for the Barack Obama campaign in March of 2007 and was eventually hired as a Field Organizer. Through the Obama campaign, I found my calling and moved back to Ohio to continue organizing. In 2009 I helped the field operations of the Keith Wilkowski for Mayor of Toledo race. After that, I was hired as a Regional Field Director for 15 northwestern and north central Ohio counties for the 2010 Democratic Coordinated Campaign. Jen and I are continuing to volunteer as we wait for the next organizing opportunity to present itself.