Saturday, October 08, 2005

Vote "NO" on California Proposition 77

Of all the ballot initiatives being put forward by Governor Schwarzenegger, I was the most uncertain about Proposition 77. (Read the Text of Prop. 77 Here) While the other initiatives seemed to take obvious aim at the governor’s political opposition, Prop. 77 seemed to be remarkably fair. In short, it takes the responsibility of drawing up new congressional and representative districts out of the hands of partisan politicians and gives it to a panel of three retired judges. That sounds quite fair on the face of the matter. But in reading the text carefully and thinking about the matter, I have decided that this is not a good idea. Three is an awfully small number, especially when you consider that none of these judges would be elected by the people nor would be directly answerable to the public. While the panel would be required to have hearings open to lawmakers and the public, they would not be required to follow their recommendations. This initiative would also make it easier for districts to be drawn in such a way as to ignore physical geography, thus allowing gerrymandered districts that divide traditional communities and combine others illogically. Even worse is the fact that the redistricting plan (if Proposition 77 passes) would actually go into effect before voters would have the opportunity to approve it.
I agree that it is probably a good idea to take the power to draw up electoral districts away from the politicians who stand to benefit the most through their manipulation. However, this plan is not good for California or Democracy in general. I strongly urge all Californians to vote no on Proposition 77.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Lima, Ohio, United States
I was born and raised in Ohio. I am a lifelong Catholic Christian who has always been interested in the big questions of life. I have a passion for learning especially Philosophy, Science, Religion, History and Culture. I graduated from the University of Toledo in 2001 with a B.A. in International Relations. I married my soul-mate, Jen in 2001 and we moved to rural Tanigumi-mura Japan where we taught English for 3 years. We moved to California and lived in San Francisco and the Bay Area for 4 years. Tired of sitting on the sidelines, I began volunteering for the Barack Obama campaign in March of 2007 and was eventually hired as a Field Organizer. Through the Obama campaign, I found my calling and moved back to Ohio to continue organizing. In 2009 I helped the field operations of the Keith Wilkowski for Mayor of Toledo race. After that, I was hired as a Regional Field Director for 15 northwestern and north central Ohio counties for the 2010 Democratic Coordinated Campaign. Jen and I are continuing to volunteer as we wait for the next organizing opportunity to present itself.